ads

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Thoughts on The Amazing Spider-Man

To those of you who haven’t watched it I suggest you watch it in 3D, because I can’t imagine having watched it any other way. I’m not really a 3D person myself, but this is probably the first time where watching a movie in 3D has enhanced my movie going experience.
|| WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD||
I honestly think that The Amazing Spider-Man, was, well - amazing.
Andrew Garfield completely blew me away as Peter Parker - and no, it’s not just because I’m an Andrew Garfield fangirl. To be honest, I was one of the people who were a little worried that Andrew couldn’t deliver what the fans wanted. It was not his acting I was worried about (he had already proven his acting abilities in The Social Network), but I was more concerned if he could meet the expectations that his predecessor Tobey Maguire had left for him. Fortunately, Andrew exceeded expectations.
I had loved Tobey Maguire in the old Spiderman movies, but after seeing Andrew play the part, the old Peter Parker seemed somewhat, angsty. Andrew Garfield’s take on Spiderman seemed more genuine and real, and he seemed like an all around nice guy.. He made Peter Parker a more relatable character and unlike the old films, this time they went further into his back story to give his character more depth. Peter Parker was more intelligent and witty, and I loved how they stay true to the comics and let Peter create web-shooters, instead of the organic webshooters from the earlier films.
Emma Stone was a brilliant Gwen Stacy. She made a more interesting and much better romantic interest than Kirstyn Dunst did in the earlier movies. Emma’s sense of humor really played well with the character and unlike Dunst’s portrayal of Mary-Jane, Gwen was smart and could actually do something productive. Emma and Andrew had a lot of chemistry (well they are dating in real life), and they seem a much better pairing than Kirsten and Tobey. 
Overall, it was an awesome movie. The casting for all the characters was perfect and each character was so real. The Amazing Spider-Man was filled with more emotion than its predecessor and it was filled with brilliant action sequences and script-writing. I was a little skeptical about the reboot before I watched it, but now, I wouldn’t trade it for anything else. I would put this as one of my favorite movies of the year, alongside The Avengers. I’m really looking forward to the new Spiderman installment. :D
Favorite Quote:
At the end of the movie after Gwen’s father Police Captain George Stacy dies and asks Peter to stay away from Gwen to protect her. “The ones closest to you are the ones who get hurt the most.
Peter walks in late to class and sits behind Gwen, who is still upset that she and Peter won’t be able to be together.
Peter:  I’m sorry it won’t happen again
Teacher: Don’t make promises you can’t keep Parker
Peter: *leans closer to Gwen* But those are the best kind of promises. *sly grin*
*Gwen smiles as he says this*

No comments:

Post a Comment